Smriti Mandhana – The latest sensation in Indian women’s cricket
Till now you might have heard of Indian women’s cricket team’s latest sensation Smriti Mandhana. Born on July 18, 1996, the whole of India is going gaga over her owing to her phenomenal performance in the ongoing Women’s cricket world cup and her charming personality which has tempted many people to declare her as the current national crush of India, thus officially moving over Disha Patani.
Smriti’s current form in the ongoing Women’s world cup has made her an overnight star. She scored splendid 90 and 106* against England and West Indies respectively. Although, success didn’t come that easy for Smriti as her spot in the world cup wasn’t confirmed owing to her injury that she suffered during Women’s Big Bash League and was out of action for around 6 months.
The internet is currently crushing over her big time and here we present the journey of this burgeoning talent in Indian Women’s cricket :-
- Smriti first came into limelight in October 2013 when she scored a double century in a one day game. She scored an explosive 224 off 150 balls against Gujarat while playing for Maharashtra. Thus, becoming the first Indian woman to do so.
- The left handed batter made her ODI debut against Bangladesh in April 2013, when she was just 16 years old.
- Smriti later made her test debut in August 2014 against England at Wormley Park scoring 22 and 51 in both the innings respectively.
- On September 2016, she became the second Indian after Harmanpreet Kaur to strike a one year deal with the team Brisbane Heat for Women’s Big Bash League (WBBL).
- According to Smriti’s coach Anant Tambvekar, Smriti Mandhana is a big fan of legendary Sri lankan wicket-keeper batsman ‘Kumar Sangakara’ and she tried to copy his shots while practising in the nets.
Being the only Indian cricketer to be named in the ICC women’s team of the year 2016 ,She is still very young. Smriti Mandhana looks a very promising cricketer and has a lot of potential to outshine in the coming future. Being such a talented player and showing signs of maturity at such a young age, Smriti deserves every bit of praise that is coming her way.