Remembering Hockey Magician Major Dhyan Chand on occasion of his Birthday Anniversary (National Sports Day) 29 Aug, 2018
The date, 29 August is very auspicious for all the sports enthusiast around the World. Not only India but many countries around the world celebrate Hockey’s Greatest Player-Ever Birth Anniversary as the National Sports Day.
Dhyan Chand is the most respected, decorated and honoured Indian Sports Personality. His brother and son taking forward his legacy and love for hockey during their whole life. Here, we are sharing 10 crucial details about Major Dhyan Chand that surely proves right decision of Indian Government to declare his birth anniversary as ‘National Sports Day’
- Magician of Hockey arena, Dhyan Chand joined the Indian Army at the age of 16 and served the nation till 56 years of age. Carrying forward his extended duties on-field in hockey and off-field for the nation.
- In Amsterdam Olympics 1928, Dhyan Chand claimed the highest number of goals in hockey world record with overall 14 goals in the International event.
- As per the records available with Indian Hockey Federation, Major Dhyan Chand had scored approx. 400 goals in his entire hockey career.
- In the Hockey finals of 1932 Olympics India clinched mammoth victory with 24-1 scoreline against America. Dhyan Chand scored total 8 goals in the match while his younger brother Roop Singh scored 10 goals in the Olympic hockey final match.
- Once Netherlands Officials damaged Dhyan Chand’s hockey stick during his tour to the country. They wanted to ensure that the phenomenal Indian Player doesn’t use any magnet or other kind of tactics to carry the possession of ball for the longest duration in any match.
- Dhyan Chand was part of Indian team which clinched three in a row Olympic gold for India in year 1928, 1932 and 1936.
- Indian Government honoured Major Dhyan Chand with 3rd Highest Citizen Award in India ‘Padma Vibhushan’ in year 1956.
- Dhyan Chand’s son Ashok Dhyan Chand was also a great national-level player. In 1975 World Cup crucial match against Pakistan, Ashok smashed the only goal in the match to account India’s win in the match against arch-rival Pakistan.