Manchester City heading for the best English Premier League season in history
Manchester City have already been declared the 2017-18 English Premier League Champions. Pep Guardiola’s team has had a dream season with 30 wins, 3 draws and 2 losses to accumulate a total of 93 points. With just 3 games remaining in the season, Manchester City could break several records in the history of the 26-year-old league. We take a look at the legacy that the club can leave behind when it plays its last match against Southampton on 13th May 2018.
- Most Wins in a single season- City who have already won 30 games, are one game shy of breaking the all-time record which they equalled when they won 4-1 against West Ham.
- Highest average possession- Pep Guardiola’s team are currently on the top of the list with 71.3 percent as their average possession. They are well on their way to smashing the record that City set last season with 64 percent possession.
- Most Assists in a Season- Arsenal’s Thiery Henry created history when he was involved in 20 assists in 2002-03. City’s Kevin De Bruyne is nearing that mark with 15 assists and has a slight chance of achieving the record.
- Most Points in a Season- Manchester City are 2 points shy of the all-time mark of 95 points achieved by Jose Mourinho in 2004-05. A win would be sufficient for the Sky Blues to take over that mark.
- Best Goal Difference- The Citizens currently sit on a goal difference of +76, much above the +71 achieved by Chelsea in 2009-10. Only a serious defeat in the last two games can dent the prospects of this team.
- Most Goals in a Season- City have scored a mammoth 102 goals this season, one less than what Chelsea scored in the 2016-17 season. They need to net just a couple of balls to make this record in their name.