Indian Sports News- September 7thSeptember 7, 2019
Bytes: US Open finals, COA, Abdul Qadir dies, Malinga hattrick, Ashes, Dinesh Kartik notice, IndiaAvsSouthAfricaA, Cadet Championship, Pro Kabaddi league, FC Barca, Charles fastest in practice-Italian GP
YoGems makes sure that you won’t miss a thing in the field of sports, so here is a quick recap to all the happenings from the last 24 hours:
COA– The Committee of Administrators has appointed a three-member Independent Supervisory Committee to run the cricketing affairs of Bihar Cricket Association and also conduct fresh elections. The CoA, chaired by Vinod Rai, took the decision after deliberating on the issue during a meeting in Mumbai on Friday. “For the proper running of the game in Bihar and conduct a free, fair and transparent election, it is imperative that the BCA’s management is put under supervision and control of an Independent Supervisory Committee,” said a source close to CoA.
SLvsNZ– Lasith Malinga claimed four wickets in four balls for the second time in his career to lead Sri Lanka to a 37-run consolation win over New Zealand in the third Twenty20 international on Friday. Malinga returned career-best figures of 5-6 to bundle New Zealand, who won the series 2-1, for 88 while chasing 126 in Kandy. The 36-year-old Malinga bowled Colin Munro for 12 on the third ball of his second over to become the first T20 bowler to claim 100 wickets as he began his demolition of the Kiwi batting.
Ashes– Josh Hazlewood strengthened Australia’s grip on the fourth Test at Old Trafford with a trio of England wickets late on Friday’s third day. England were 200-5 when bad light ended play shortly before the scheduled close, still 297 behind Australia’s imposing 497-8 declared built on star batsman Steve Smith’s commanding double century. Fast bowler Hazlewood has so far taken 4-48 in 20 overs, with England now needing a further 98 runs just to avoid the follow-on. Ben Stokes, whose unbeaten century took England to a stunning one-wicket win in the third Test at Headingley, was seven not out and Jonny Bairstow two not out.
Dinesh Kartik– The Board of Control for Cricket in India has issued a show cause notice to out-of-favour India player Dinesh Karthik for attending a promotional event of the Caribbean Premier League franchise Trinbago Knight Riders, which is owned by Bollywood actor Shah Rukh Khan. The 34-year-old Karthik was spotted in Trinbago Knight Riders’ dressing room attending their opening CPL match against St Kitts & Nevis in Port of Spain.
Abdul Qadir– Former Pakistan leg-spinner Abdul Qadir Khan passed away on Friday after suffering a cardiac arrest at the age of 63 in Lahore, Pakistan daily Dawn reported. Regarded as one of the best leg-spinners of his generation and credited for reviving the art of leg-spin bowling in 1970s and 80s, Qadir died of a heart attack in his hometown Lahore, his son told AFP on Friday. Qadir picked up 236 Test wickets in 67 matches and 132 wickets during 104 One-Day Internationals while playing for Pakistan. He later also served as chief selector for the Pakistan Cricket Board.
IndAvsSaA- Local hero Sanju Samson struck a blistering 48-ball 91 as India A romped to a 36-run win over South Africa A in the fifth and final unofficial ODI, helping the hosts claim the series 4-1 here on Friday. Kerala wicketkeeper-batsman Samson, who has played one T20 International for India, showcased his skills in another rain-affected game at Thiruvananthapuram. In a rain-affected 20 overs-a-side game, India A made 204 for 4 before restricting South Africa A to 168 all out with Shardul Thakur taking 3 for 9 from three overs.
US Open- Colombian top seeds Juan Sebastian Cabal and Robert Farah won their second consecutive Grand Slam men’s doubles title on Friday, capturing the US Open crown. The reigning Wimbledon champions defeated Spain’s Marcel Granollers and Argentina’s Horacio Zeballos 6-4, 7-5 in the championship match at Arthur Ashe Stadium. “It has been unreal,” Farah said.
Rafael Nadal will play for his 19th Grand Slam title, one shy of Roger Federer’s all-time men’s record, after battling past Italy’s Matteo Berrettini on Friday and into his fifth US Open final. The 33-year-old Spaniard dispatched Berrettini 7-6 (8/6), 6-4, 6-1 at Arthur Ashe Stadium to reach a Sunday showdown against Russian fifth seed Daniil Medvedev, who ousted Bulgarian Grigor Dimitrov 7-6 (7/5), 6-4, 6-3. “Very happy to be back into the final of the US Open,” Nadal said. “It means a lot to be back where I am today after some tough moments at the beginning of the season.”
PKL- Star raider Pawan Sehrawat was once again the hero for home side Bengaluru Bulls as they beat Telugu Titans in an entertaining final match of Pro Kabaddi’s Bengaluru leg at the Sree Kanteerava Stadium on Friday. The raider scored a massive 22 raid points for the Bulls but the defending champions had to struggle for their victory largely due to Siddharth Desai’s raiding prowess at the other end for the Titans. Desai too finished with 22 raid points but a few errors, especially from league’s best defender Vishal Bhardwaj, proved too costly for the Titans against their South Indian rivals.
Cadet Championship- India’s Payas Jain stormed into the cadet boys final of the 25th Asian Junior Table Tennis Championships beating South Korean Lin Yunoh 4-3 in New Delhi on Friday. The seventh seeded Indian won 15-13, 11-9, 9-11, 3-11, 11-9, 11-6. Besides the medal, Payas also earned a place in the Asian squad that will compete in the World Cadet Challenge, to be held at Wladyslawowo, Poland, this October. This will be the second medal for the Indians at the championships after the junior boys had clinched a silver medal. Jain will take on top-seed and world No. 1 Yuanyu Chen in the final on Saturday.
Friendlies– Neymar didn’t disappoint in his much anticipated return, grabbing a second-half equalizer for Brazil in a 2-2 friendly draw with Colombia. The Paris Saint-Germain star was playing for the first time for club or country since suffering an ankle injury in a friendly against Qatar in June, which ruled him out of the Copa America. Since then the Brazilian star had been embroiled in a long-running transfer saga that ended this week with the Brazilian staying at PSG – a return to Barcelona finally ruled out.
FC Barcelona– Barcelona president Josep Maria Bartomeu said on Friday the Spanish giants are not worried about Lionel Messi’s future, despite the Argentinian star being able to leave the club at the end of the season. The five-time Ballon d’Or winner signed a new four-year deal with Barca in 2017, but Bartomeu says he is free to end his contract beforehand.
F1- Charles Leclerc confirmed his dominant pace and completed a ‘double top’ clean sweep for Ferrari in Friday’ rain-hit free practice for the Italian Grand Prix, the in-form Monegasque driver outpacing Lewis Hamilton’s Mercedes by just 0.068 seconds. The 21-year-old Leclerc, who was fastest in the opening session in the morning, clocked a best lap of one minute and 20.978 seconds in the session as he and Ferrari team-mate Sebastian Vettel sandwiched the defending five-time world champion between them.