Australian Open: Nadal dominates; Gulbis cruises into next roundJanuary 21, 2020
- World number one Rafael Nadal blitzed past Bolivia’s Hugo Dellien 6-2, 6-3, 6-0 in just over two hours at a sunny Rod Laver Arena.
- World No 5 Dominic Thiem brushed aside Frenchman Adrian Mannarino 6-3, 7-5, 6-2 on Margaret Court Arena.
- Former champion Stan Wawrinka dropped a
set butreached the second round with a good 7-5, 6-7 (4), 6-4, 6-4 win over Damir Dzumhur.
- Ernests Gulbis, who had to come through qualifying, caused yet another upset at a Grand Slam as he knocked out Canadian 20th seed Felix Auger-Aliassime 7-5 4-6 7-6
(4) 6-4 in the first round.
- World No 2 Karolina Pliskova passed her tricky opener test to reach the Australian Open second round on Tuesday. The 27-year-old Czech defeated France’s Kristina Mladenovic 6-1, 7-5.
- Johanna Konta, the 12th seed, was the highest-ranked name to fall in the women’s opening draw thus far, as
OnsJabeur of Tunisia knocked her out 6-4, 6-2 in the first round.