Australia Bushfire: Tennis & cricket stars lead charge for supportJanuary 3, 2020
Cricket, Lawn Tennis
- Tennis and cricket stars spearheaded by Nick Kyrgios and Chris Lynn on Friday pledged support for victims of
bushfiresraging around Australia, donating cash for every ace or six they hit.
- Kyrgios has been at the forefront of rallying support and pledged Aus$200 (US$140) for each ace he serves across the Australian summer of tennis, starting with the ATP Cup which began Friday.
- Tennis Australia also announced a “Rally for Relief” exhibition match at Rod Laver Arena in Melbourne on January 15 ahead of the Australian Open, with “the world’s top players” taking part.
- After this, two of the biggest hitters in the game, Lynn and Glenn Maxwell, announced they would donate $250 for every six they smash during the ongoing Big Bash League Twenty20 tournament.
- The blazes have claimed 18 lives and forced mass evacuations, with the country bracing for a weekend heatwave expected to fan the deadly infernos.