Asian Games 2018: 10 interesting facts you need to know about India’s participation in Asian Sports Fest
As we all are expecting a great venture for the home side India at the 2018 Asian Games scheduled to start in few days. The countdown has already begin for the biggest Asian Sports Bonanza, we have collected some of the must know facts about Asia’s shining star India’s participation.
- India has send the final contingent of 572 athletes with a total representation of 800 members at the 2018 Asian Games scheduled to held in striking Indonesian cities Jakarta and Palembang. The strength of members taking part from Indian side is the largest as compared in the history of the Asian Games since its incorporation.
- Asian Games 2018 edition is the first-ever edition of Asian Games to be played in two different cities of the hosting nation. Asian Games 2018 will be played in Jakarta and Palembang of hosting nation Indonesia. The edition will witness participation of 45 different nations across the Asia.
- The first edition of Asian Games was held in 1951 and India’s capital Delhi holds the record of being the debut state to host FIRST EVER Asian Games. In this particular year, total 11 different nation marked their participation in the Asia’s Biggest Sports Event. Standing high with the home advantages, India enjoyed 2nd spot in overall medal tally in the particular year.
- Indian Sports Association have great remarks for the India’s great performance in 2018 edition of Asian Games. Apart Indian Hockey team the top contender for gold medal, India is expecting great performances from Neeraj Chopra, Dipa Karmakar, Deepika Kumari and Hima Das.
- Neeraj Chopra, the gold medalist at the Commonwealth Games commenced at the Gold Coast earlier this year will monitor India’s contingent at the Asian Games 2018 in Indonesia.
- In the last edition of the Asian Games played in South Korea. India finished with the remarks of 8th best Asian team in the event with 11 Golds, 9 Silver and 37 Bronze medals and overall medal count of 57.
- While India’s hope are high as some new athletes batch are making their way to the first Asian Games exposure. The edition for India will see missing out of several star faces, Indian tennis player Yuki Bhambri and Indian Weightlifter Saikhom Mirabai Chanu will unfortunately miss this year’s of Asian Games.
- Indian team representing in the sports event such as Kabaddi, Hockey, Shooting and Athletics are gold medal favorites.
- China is the Asian best team with 1,342 golds in the history of Asian Games. Apart Golds, the nation collected 900 silvers, 653 bronze medals with total 1895 medals. Talking about India, our nation stands at 6th spot in all-time Asian Games League with 139 golds, 178 Silver and 299 Bronze medals and overall 616 medals.
- Till 1951, Asian Games were organised under the guidance and approval of Asian Games Federation, the trend continued till 1978. In 1982 the responsibilities for hosting the event was taken over by Olympic Council of Asia (OCA).