What are the different forms of Harmonium available in the market ?
There are various types or models of harmonium that are available:
- Foldable Harmonium and Standing Models: A lot of people prefer the folding variety as it is more portable and people can carry it easily. However, the standing model comes with a stand and is quite apt for those who wish to perform while standing.
- Compact Harmonium: This one is very small and has a carry case. It is much smaller than the standard harmonium, yet produces a similar sound with the entire range.
- Harmonium with Coupler: This harmonium produces sound that incorporate the next lower octave to give a powerful and richer sound altogether.
- Scale Changer Harmonium: This model allows a full sound pattern and is very harmonious with a complete sound pattern. It has 42 keys and 5 adjustable drones. There is also the possibility of using a coupler in this as well.
- 22-microtone Harmonium: This was developed by Vidyadhar Oke in which 22 microtones, crucial to Indian classical music, can be played. This can be used for any raga.
- Samvadini Harmonium: The harmonium was then improvised with a ‘swarmandal’ (harp-like box) which helped to render cut notes and high speed passages.