How to identify the right pediatrician for the child and how important is it to visit the pediatrician regularly?
Child’s health is greatly dependent on an efficient pediatrician as parents and the pediatrician form a bond of trust between them where the child’s health is foremost on their agenda.
Choosing the right pediatrician is an important decision and depends on a number of aspects that the parents should keep in mind:
- The pediatrician should be located somewhere where he can easily be reached in emergency?
- Which hospitals is the doctor affiliated with and are they per your satisfaction?
- Is the doctor available on a 24 hour basis or is he only open for emergency or consultation for some hours?
- Is there a long line of parents waiting for their turn or does his consultancy can be easily availed so that your child could get personal attention?
- Does the pediatrician have a waiting area for the sick kids or in general and is it clean with toys and accessories for the kids?
- How long has he been practicing and what are his child care philosophy?
- Is the doctor on time to attend to the patients or is late for appointments?
- Is his/her staff friendly and helpful?
- Does the doctor makes house calls if required?
- If he is unavailable during an emergency, does he have a specialist lined up to attend his patients efficiently?
Answer to these questions will surely help you decide if the pediatrician is right for your child or not.
The frequency of the visit to the pediatrician depends on the general health of the baby but otherwise the visits are usually monthly or two monthly in the first year of the baby being born and then gradually depending on your child’s health and convenience of both the doctor and the parents a balance is maintained to 4 months or 6 months.