Can you name few Indian Archers ?
Archery has been an ancient sport since the time civilization started. Initially, the act of shooting arrows was primarily for the purpose of war or hunting, but archery has over a large period of time become a sport that requires enormous skill, great mental strength and the ability to focus well.
Few famous Indian Archers are :
- Deepika Kumari – One of India’s brightest and youngest archers, Deepika kumari has won many medals including the Gold medal at the 2010 Commonwealth Games, and also qualified for the 2012 Summer Olympics in London. Till 2015, Deepika has sustained the World rank number 5 in archery, and has received the prestigious Arjuna award for her significant victory and contribution in sports. In February 2014, Deepika was honoured with the FICCI Sportsperson award for the year, and the Indian government also privileged her with the civilian honor of the Padma Shri award in 2016.
- Limba Ram – One of India’s most popular archers, Liba Ram represented India in various international tournaments and events, including three Olympic games. He was awarded the Arjuna award in 1991, and the Padma Shri award in the year 2012 for his outstanding contribution to the sport.
- Jayanta Talukdar – When we make a list of some of the most outstanding archers in India, Jayanta Talkudar’s name definitely figures in the top 3. He was India’s first Archery World Cup winner in the year 2006, and thereafter his career has been nothing short of fabulous in the world of archery.
- Tarundeep Rai – One of India’s most distinguished archers, Tarundeep Rai made his debut with archery at the age of 19, and has grown to become one of the leading athletes in this sport. Tarundeep was the first Indian to win an individual men’s silver medal in archery at the 16th Asian Games held in China in the year 2010. He was also a member of the Indian men’s recurve team at the 2012 London Olympics, and was placed 31st in the men’s individual ranking.
- Dola Banerjee – Adding pride and glory to archery in India, Dola Banerjee has set high standards for all major athletes in this field. Dola Banerjee is India’s first ever international level women’s archer, and has won the gold medal at the 2007 World Cup, making her the second Indian to have accomplished such a victory.