Can you discuss the basics of Volleyball game ?
Here are some of the basics of Volleyball game :
- People have indulged in ball games since times immemorial; however this sport was created by William G. Morgan, a physical education instructor who merged aspects of throw ball and tennis to emerge with a new form of indoor game called Volleyball.
- Volleyball is played between two opposing teams, wherein each team has to bat the ball with their hand in such a way that it cross over the net and touches the ground on the opponent’s play area, which scores a point.
- The distinct feature of volleyball is the ball and the net, where the former is lighter in weight as compared to the basketball or football.
- Volleyball reached India 70 years ago through physical education teachers from abroad. The sport gained quick popularity and is widely played across the country even in educational institutions and the armed forces.
- The first official training for volleyball commenced in Chennai, which eventually spread to other states.
- The game was earlier managed by the Olympic Association that held tournaments every two years. However, in 1951, the Volleyball Federation of India came into force.
- The first volleyball championship in India post independence was organised in Chennai in the year 1952.
India’s ranking in the sport in 5th in Asia and 27th in the world, while the men’s volleyball team ranks 39th in the world.